I had such a great afternoon, I felt like I landed in my long-lost extended relative's apartment, I felt so welcome. I laughed as I heard stories about how Melissa, a total punk at age 14 and now a serious Ani look-alike, would visit this aunt an uncle for a week every summer. They would let M wander around Boston while they worked, nurtured her artistic side, and gave her freedom her parents wouldn't. The three of them are very close and the whole day I kept promising myself that I will be that aunt to my nieces; that I will listen to them deeply and encourage them fully in their vast and unique interests. And damn, I can't wait for them to be big enough to come visit me!
Melissa is an art therapist and reminded me that in the Artist's Way it is recommended to travel weekly outside of your normal, comfortable routine as a way to spark creativity and inspiration. And that's exactly what I've needed for weeks to get creative juices flowing as I start to write two huge grant proposals and more publications. I realized as we were driving out of town (I've been in a car less than 4 times since I moved here) that except for flying out of the state, this was the first time I've gotten out of Boston since October! I've never been so ready for summer so early in the year, but with warm weather and z's arrival, will also come greater mobility and adventure, leading to more creativity and sanity.
Fun weekend, yo! I too am looking forward to a change in scene and daily tasks.
ReplyDeleteHey A,
ReplyDeleteI am really glad you got to exhale into P-town during the off season. Two Mays ago I went to visit Kate in Boston, and we both needed an exhale from life for a little while. I remember just sitting on a sunny beach and letting the wind, the waves, the birds, the kids, the sand - letting all of it just wash over us and wash away the weight of stress building up.
It's very nice to hear that you had such a familial welcome -- you're a p-town insider now!
...and isn't it ironic that the all the tourists and top crust of Boston line up to spend their vacation in the homo-mecca of the east?