The next weekend was bountiful, with trips to two different local farms, for more dancing, harvest festivals, fresh-pressed apple cider, and vegetable collecting. I spent half a day "saving" the end of the year tomatoes and peppers from jack frost, even the green tomatoes. We brought home around 50-70 lbs of tomatoes, some needed a week to ripen, others went right into tomato sauce, while the green tomatoes have been fried or pickled with dill (the batch I tried were just like zesty pickles!). I'll show you my pantry soon, as it's such a lifetime achievement (rather dream or passion I never knew I had).
Finally, we have started up soup nights, a Minneapolis tradition that may be essential to surviving northern climate winters. Our soup night is hosted by one of 5 different houses every Sunday, we just happen to live right above one of the other couples, so we can walk down with Banjo in our slippers on sunday night, and vice versa. We gather for soup and company, and usually dessert and lingering conversation. I hope this will also morph into card or game playing as the nights get colder. Warm wishes to you!
You're such a tease with those tomatoes!
ReplyDeleteAre those Hakurei turnips? They are so big and BEAUTIFUL!!! I love eating those just like you are, like an apple! I just found some in my fridge, must be from July, that instead of molding were just starting to grow new little root hairs and shoots! The baby leaves were tasty raw, and the roots have now been sauteed, with the last of them set for lunch tomorrow. Wow, what a beautiful post of bounty and harvest -- food and community and music. So happy for you!!!!
ReplyDelete