Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!
























My birthday was full of all of the emotions of a 6 year old: pure giddiness as Steph biked me to and from work, stopping to take photos of the leaves on the way; anticipation as we wondered who from our invitation list would come to the friday night dinner party; being overwhelmed by the food prep and then feeling super lucky that I really didn't do any of the food prep (thanks to Steph and Z the all-farm fresh veggie soup and home-made carrot cake were out of this world!); wanting all of the attention, but also wanting to observe each conversation as if I were invisible; and once the music ended and the friends eventually left I felt so sad that the weekend had passed as if it were a dream. My new mantra is to let the Wild Things BE and not try to control them - like when every person at the dinner party contributed to an improvised song, some with spoons or voice and some with new-to-them instruments that squeaked, while others held instruments they had made and knew very well. The song started with the hint of an Irish jig, but gradually increased in volume and chaotic tempo until my own violin strokes couldn't be distinguished from the other sounds. I played louder and so did everyone else, like we were in the midst of a wild rumpus - a pig pile of sound I say! And then just like that, everyone exploded into laughter and we dropped to our seats! If only we had slept in a big pile like they do in the movie I would have fulfilled my 6 year old fantasy birthday party for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment