Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11









We really wanted to celebrate this day in a big way.  So we left town, of course, and headed to a tiny rustic cabin on a small island off the rocky coast of Maine.  The cabin was 20 feet from the ocean.  There was a full moon and we witnessed both stunning sunrises and sunsets as the strong tide sucked almost all of the water out of the cove we were in.  I taught Z how to play cribbage, we baked biscuits in the wood burning stove, and we slept in our down bags with a hotdog in the middle as it rained and temps dropped to the 20s.  We all dressed in blaze orange and hiked around the island, then drove to Acadia National Park for more hiking.  We are so grateful to our friend's family for letting us use their cabin, and the gesture makes us feels like suddenly we have family here in Maine.  I can only imagine what a whole month in this place would do for the writer, musician, artist, and naturalist in all of us, but based on one inspirational long weekend I think it could do wonders!

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful! It makes me want to jump on a plane and come visit you even more than I already want to! I would LOVE to go to that little cabin on the rocky shore. What a perfect way to spend such a special date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Anna! I also friended your band on facebook and saw you had a recent gig--congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes come visit, I feel like we're finally in the loop about the cool places to go with visitors! Thanks Kate, we just played a really sweet gig for gay ceLOVEbration at this club in harvard square - it was a perfect fall day and we had just as much fun as the guests did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That place looks amazing! The writer in me would love it too. And I agree, what a great way to celebrate the day. I was sitting at my desk on 11/11 and didn't quite know *what* to do when 11:11am rolled around. Finally I got up to get coffee and announced it to the whole office. ;) They exclaimed for a second or two and then went back to work. Your tac sounds much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lovely pictures!! I also thought coastal Maine was stunningly beautiful! In August we hiked at Quoddy Head State Park, which is a pennisula type thing, and it was a super intriguing ecosystem -- a moss lover's heaven! There was moss moss and boggy sphagnum moss. There was wild cranberries and blueberries and carnivorous pitcher plants and sundews. And, you know, in case you are not a plant fanatic, there was some big cliffs and big ocean views and a whole town of rock cairn art. ...So, you know, next time you are in Maine, check it out! love love.

    ReplyDelete