I had a very fun and rewarding trip to France this month for work. I struggle here, with little to no validation in what I'm doing, yet when I present my work abroad it is not only well received, but it earned me the honor of 'best young investigator seminar'! So who knows what this means for my career, but it certainly helped me relax for the 2 extra days I had in France for site-seeing. The conference was in the French Riviera, in a hill town near Nice, and afterwards some friends and I drove down the coast to Cannes (just a week after the film festival!). Wine was served at every meal except breakfast, when Nutella, croissants, and espresso filled in, and modern art was everywhere (think Picasso, Chagall, Matisse). It is so easy to see how this culture, weather, atmosphere inspires creativity!
St. Paul de Vence, a medieval walled village now known for it's modern art.
A wonderful side visit - thanks to Auntie J's suggestion!
An art 'cave' in St. Paul de Vence
I think I could live here. I would do nothing but write,
make art, and sip espresso and wine. Care to join me?
Scientists have lots of fun
Old village in Nice
A view of the mediterranean near Antibes, France.
If you look hard you can see the alps up in the clouds!
I wish these were mine;)
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The sea near Cannes
Colleague from MN and road trip buddy
I would also live here...
Another hill village - Bormes Les Mimosas -
where we stayed for a night
High above Nice
The port in Nice
The beach and promenade in Nice
I think this might be through my polarized sunglasses!
I love the optical illusion of these checkerboard tiles - they're not square!
Bikes everywhere!
I love the light scattering on the water
near sunset on the Nice port
I have so many photos, but I have to stop somewhere...
I will definitely return in a year or two, the trip surpassed all of my expectations!
No comments:
Post a Comment