This snack food idea combines the simplicity of creating your own crackers with the heath benefits of using sprouted grains. I got the cracker recipe from Kate T after several other friends raved about her crackers.
Unfortunately, some experiments do fail! The crackers tasted fermented, which in this case, is a bad thing. It either means I let the grains sprout too long or that some of the grains (I think the oats and barley) never spouted but started to rot instead. Perhaps this is why Kate's original recipe called for rye and kamut (neither of which I could find at our Co-op) instead of the grains I randomly selected? There's another theory for the cracker failure and I'll take complete responsibility for this even though Chris was a part of the whole process: I over-flavored the crackers! Kate T. suggested light salt but I went wild with everything we had in the kitchen, including a splash of beer in one batch. We added tahini, garlic powder, garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and topped it all with roasted sesame seeds! Then I spread them in the trays that came with my food dehydrator, and let them dry for several days. The final products had nice texture, but were hardly edible. I'll be trying Kate's recipe again soon, this time following it as written....


No comments:
Post a Comment